1. Not taking a step outside your comfort zone. – When you stagnate, that is when nothing gets done and life seems shit. You need to spice it up. Do something different and stop being a baby, you’ll be glad you did.
2. Giving up. – Don’t even dream of starting something and not finishing it. When you fall off the wagon, get back on. At least you learned something, even if it is that you are shit at something. That doesn’t mean you quit, it means you keep at it.
“Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever.”
3. Endlessly waiting until tomorrow. Before you know it you will be 10 years older and in the same or an even worse situation than you were before. Everybody puts things off until the next big milestone.
“I’ll leave it until after new years” (and it will be Easter before you know it)
“Ah Paddy’s day and Easter are really close this year, I’ll start after that”
“Ah, there’s no point starting now, sure I’ve got that party in 3 weeks, I’ll start after that”
After those excuses they actually start to get quite pathetic:
“It’s cold out”
There are girls and guys I train that have busier schedules than I care to even imagine. They have stressful jobs and personal responsibilities but they get on with it. They make all of their sessions/ classes and they don’t make stupid excuses. If you make stupid excuses for long enough, at some point, you are actually going to be too late to start and all you will have is a list of excuses as long as your arm to show for the last 10 years.
4. Being too busy. – Some people take on too much responsibility and/or they are shit at organizing their free time. They worry and fret about little things that may not even need to be done. Something as stupid as: “I can’t go to training, I need to put on a wash or clean the dishes or walk the dog” – all things that can wait.
5. Being lazy and indecisive. People seem to think positive things should just jump up and bite them in the arse these days. “I don’t earn enough money” and “I need to lose weight” being the most popular ones. You are not ‘entitled’ to anything, you have to go get it. So stop talking about it and get your finger out and do something about it. Take full responsibility for what you need to do, make a plan, take the first step and follow through with it.
6. Letting someone tell you what you should be doing. – Pay no heed to the naysayers. Do what YOU want to do. One of my clients told me that their housemate said to them:
“Thats very vain of you paying for a trainer, why don’t you just do it yourself”
His response was: “eh, because I don’t know what I’m doing in the gym and I want to do this as fast as possible”
Simply put, he didn’t want to be doing random stuff in the gym for months, or even years with little or no return. He wanted the result ASAP and he was prepared to pay for it.
Do you have people who disagree with you? Good. Sometimes you’ll do things considered crazy or stupid by others. They will never achieve what you will.
7. Keeping negative company. – Don’t let the crabs pull you down. Did you know that you don’t need to put a lid on a bucket of crabs? They will stop each other from escaping by pulling their mates that are on their way to freedom back down into the bucket. That’s what these negative people are doing. Don’t let someone who has a bad attitude give it to you and pull you down into his or her shitty little bucket.
Bryan Kavanagh BSc CSCS
If you want to get the finger out, give email@example.com a mail there and she will book you in for a free, no obligation consultation to discuss your goals and see if you could benefit from a training program with us.